“When life gives you lemons, make lemonade”, but what if you had your own lemons to begin with? Unlimited supply of fresh lemons for everything you will ever need seems too good to be true doesn’t it?
We are here to tell you that it is not. It is in fact very easy to grow lemons in the comfort of your own home. First let us look into the health benefits of this awesome citrus fruit.
Health Benefits of Lemon
They are packed with vitamin C which is essential when fighting against common cold and flu symptoms. The less known benefits of vitamin C are that it can also fight osteoporosis and rheumatoid arthritis.
The lemon also has powerful antioxidant properties and anticancer substances. It helps reduce inflammation and the damage from free radicals in the body.
How to Grow Your Own Lemon Tree
- Store bought lemon
- Potting soil
- Pot or a container of your choice
- A light area with a lot of sun
- Plastic film
- Make your potting soil damp.
- Fill your container with the moistened soil leaving an inch of space below its rim.
- Slice your one lemon and look for a full seed.
- Clean the seed from any remaining flesh and be careful that it doesn’t dry out since you need it fresh for the planting to work.
- Plant the seed and inch beneath the soil and water it gently with a spray bottle or watering can.
- Cover the container with the plastic breathable wrap and find a balance between a warm and moist place. It should be a warm area and moist, but not too much because the seed will rot.
- Observe your plant and when it starts sprouting remove the plastic wrap.
- When it reaches this state change it to a place that has direct sunlight.
- You should take care that the soil is always moist especially in the beginning stage. A container with holes on the bottom is best because it will not build up water and the seed will be safe from rotting.
- Just like people need 8 hours of sleep a day, your lemon tree will definitely need 8 hours of direct sunlight.
- Add fertilizer when needed. It cannot do any harm.
- As the tree progresses it will become bigger so you will need to transfer it to a bigger pot or container. Find a suitable place for it.