We all know that sitting too much is not good for anyone. But when we think about it, there are all sorts of jobs that require this of us. But one does not have to suffer with a stiff back just because they do sit for extended periods of time.
Sitting for prolonged periods can affect various aspects of ones life negatively. However, there are a few exercises that are specific to the back that can undo damage done from sitting. These 5 stretches will help to loosen the back, making it stronger.
A walking program may also be started to keep the back loose. Try taking a break from sitting every half an hour, and incorporating these exercises into your routine a few times per week.
Back Pain Exercises to Stay Limber and Avoid Back Pain from Sitting
5 Back Stretches
1. The Couch stretch- Place on leg on the floor and one on the couch, with the knee touching the back. Flex the abs and butt. Raise the torso up slowly so that you are standing tall. Hold for 5 minutes, then repeat on the other leg.
2. Glute bridges- The abs, glutes and hips will benefit from this exercise. To do, lay on the back with the knees bent, keeping the feet on the floor. Raise the butt and hips slowly, so the body is in a straight line. Lower down slowly to starting position. Do three sets of ten. A weight may also be placed between the thighs to add more of a challenge.
3. Leg Swings- Hold onto the wall or a chair for balance. Swing the leg back and forth, letting it get as high as it can. Try front to back and side to side. Do 20 kicks of each variety on each leg. This will help to loosen up the back.
4. Grok squat- With the feet on the floor, get into a squatting position. Keep the back straight, with the behind going as low as it can go. You will be able to feel a good stretch in the back, groin, and the legs.
5. Fire hydrants- Get on all fours, raising one leg out to the side. Keep it bent but go as high as you can. Lower down slowly for 1 rep. The hips and butt will be able to feel this exercise.