Black Cumin seeds
Black cumin, botanical called Nigella sativa, a plant that belongs to the parsley family, with delicate purple and white flowers. It was discovered in the tomb of King Tut and was believed to be used in the afterlife.
The seeds of the black cumin are used as an medicament since ancient times and is now used in almost all countries of the world as a spice and as a dietary supplement in some teas. The black cumin oil because it has various benefits is used in cosmetics and in the manufacture of some medicines.
In ancient civilizations like the Roman Empire, black cumin was called “Panacea” which literally means “cures everything”. This explains its widespread use as a remedy in ancient Rome. Black cumin is rich in nutrients such as protein, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B3, calcium and iron.
Egyptians used black cumin after meals to aid in digestion and to calm the stomach. It was used for pains in the stomach, to treat infections, colds, toothache and migraine.
Studies have shown that most diseases occur due to an imbalance in the immune system, and components found in black cumin, can help in the fight against diseases by increasing the immune cells in the body.
There have been major research about black cumin and its properties to fight cancer, and found that unlike chemo – therapy, black cumin can be used to treat tumors and breast cancer without any adverse side effects.
Doctors in Munich tried with black cumin to treat their patients with asthma and allergies to dust, and succeeded in 70 % of patients. The oil from the seeds can be used in the treatment of ear pain, breathing problems and lower blood pressure.
Externally, ground cumin mixed with flour can be used as a coating for headaches or some skin infections.
Some of the key health benefits of black cumin are listed below:
2. It is used to treat diseases associated with respiratory, circulatory and immune system, the stomach and intestines, kidneys and even weakened liver.
3. The seed has proven its effective properties against parasitic infections, asthma, bronchitis, rheumatism and cold symptoms.
4. Provides health benefits to increase muscle tone, stimulate menstrual period, also it is increasing the milk production and improving the flow at nursing mothers.
5. The oil soothes the nervous system; calms pain caused by colic, stimulates the excretion of urine, helps with whooping cough and improves the digestion.
6. Also stimulates the body’s energy and helps with recovery from fatigue and disease.
7. And is an effective remedy for skin diseases such as eczema, acne, psoriasis and allergies.
8. The oil of black cumin stimulates production of interferon, protects cells from viral infections, increases the production of bone marrow cells and improves immunity, destroys tumor cells and increases the number of antibodies.
9. Contains strong hormones, stimulants, digestive enzymes, antacids and sedatives.
10. Seeds contain beta-sitosterol and anti-tumor sterol. They are very effective in treating abscesses and tumors of the eyes, stomach and liver.
11. Seeds are also used to treat bloating, diarrhea, hemorrhoids, constipation and dysentery.
12. It can improve the immunity with using one teaspoon of black cumin oil mixed with a teaspoon of honey and consumed regularly before each meal.
13. The capsules are consumed for strengthening the hair and nails.
14. In the field of medicine it is used as an antiseptic.