The Best First Aid For A Jellyfish Sting

July 28, 2015

Swimming in the sea or ocean can be a fun experience, but can easily be ruined by getting stung by a jellyfish.

However, there is a simple remedy for this.  Jellyfish are often found during the summer months where swimmers are.

The Best First Aid For A Jellyfish Sting

Once they sting, it can be pretty painful.  The pain is similar to that of a burn as the jellyfish rays are poison.

-Do note that if you are stung by a jellyfish, it is important to remain calm and collected.

-Get out of the water, taking caution not to rub the area, as this will rub the poison further into the skin.

-Wash the area that has been stung with sea water to wash off the rays of the jellyfish.

-Do not use plain water.

-Never remove the rays with bare hands and never rub with a cloth further into the skin.

-To soothe the blisters, you should apply plain vinegar to the area.

Lemon juice can also be applied.

-If these ingredients are not easily available, urinating on the area will also have the same effect.  This is a very uncomfortable procedure to do, but the results are worth the embarrassment.

-Never put alcohol on the area either as it will only make the sting worse.

An alternative solution is to place ice cubes in a cloth on the area that has been stung as this will reduce the swelling. Rinsing with a saline wash will also help as this will reduce stinging and swelling.

At the pharmacy, you should also purchase a cream that contains analgesic.  If the symptoms do not go away after a few hours, or if you are allergic to the sting, it is very important to receive medical treatment as soon as possible.

Others have experienced relief by using a thin layer of honey then covering with gaze to be effective.

One person stated that cilantro oil helped greatly, while one man washed the area repeatedly with detergent.


Click here to add a comment

Leave a comment: