Top Foods That Cause Bloating
Bloating is not uncommon in many individuals. At least 1 in every 10 persons say they feel bloated from time to time. It is usually tied to what an person eats, but may cause swelling of the abdomen.
Reasons for bloating include eating too fast. One should try to slow down to eat to not only prevent overeating but to also let the brain know that the body is satisfied.
Smaller sizes can help to ease any pain and discomfort that one will feel from bloating. Fatty foods should be avoided as they can make one uncomfortable and the fat will take longer to digest.
The following are foods that should be avoided when trying to avoid bloating:
- Dairy foods- those that are lactose intolerant will usually have some form of bloating. Limit the amount of milk, yogurt, cheese, and ice cream. If digestion is an issue, you may need to switch to coconut, almond or other forms of milk.
- Asparagus, broccoli and cabbage- Eating these foods in moderation is the best way to avoid the bloat. Eating these three with any of the following will also help to cut down on the bloat: brussel sprouts, carrots, prunes, apricots and cauliflower.
- Beans- Beans should also only be enjoyed in smaller quantities. Beans contain oligosaccharide, which is sugar that is hard for our bodies to break down. Pre-soaking the beans will also help to remove some of their sugars.
- Apples and pears- While these fruits are great for fiber, they really play havoc on our stomach. However you can enjoy them by only eating half at a time or peeling them first to avoid bloating.
- Whole grains- These are good for one because they have a high fiber content. However, fiber can cause gas. So it is best to slowly introduce fiber into the diet.
- Carbonated beverages- Beverages, such as beer and soda have carbon dioxide in them, which will help the body bloat.
- Fatty foods- Food will ferment more as the fat slows down the digestive process. Fatty foods will also increase the feeling of fullness in the stomach.
- Hard candies and gum- Sucking on hard candies and gum will allow a person to swallow more air, leaving a bloated feeling.
- Artificial sweeteners- Fructose and Sorbitol can not be digested by the body, which can cause the body to bloat.
- Salty foods- Sodium can make the body retain water.
The body can also bloat when a person swallows excessive air when a person is nervous. When the body is calm, this can help to reduce bloating and gas. Acid reflux or Dyspepsia can lead to bloating in the stomach.
Carrying around excessive body weight in the stomach region could lead a person to bloat if there is not another reason, such as constipation. Celiac disease can make a person bloated when certain foods are consumed, such as beer, pasta, bread and wheat.
A blood test can help an individual determine if they have this disease,which will often be accompanied by foul-smelling diarrhea and flatulence.