An ancient Ayurvedic practice is oil pulling. This will help oral health and also detoxing the body. Oils are used to pull fungus, bacteria and other harmful substances from the mouth, gums, teeth and throat.
To perform oil pulling you will simply place some sesame oil or coconut oil in the mouth and swish around for a short period of time. These oils will cut through the plaque on the teeth but will not harm the gums. The best part is the many benefits that oil pulling has. These benefits include:
– Reducing bad breath. Bacteria in the mouth will be eliminated when oil pulling is done, which is the main cause of bad breath. Oil pulling has been proven to reduce bad breath and is just as effective as store bought mouthwashes.
– Prevents diseases of the mouth and the gums. Oil pulling will prevent not only cavities, but also gingivitis and bleeding gums. The immune system will start to attack the bacteria that is found in the plaque. When coconut oil is used, since it is anti-inflammatory, this oil will help in this matter.
– Helps prevent jaw soreness. If you have experienced TMJ, you know that it can be rather painful. Oil pulling will allow the jaw to get stronger over time.
– Whitens teeth. No need for whitening toothpaste or nasty white strips. The teeth will be whiter after 2 weeks, the gums pinker, the breath fresher. All without the toxic use of white strips.
– Skin conditions will begin to improve. Conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, and acne can be diminished within 2 weeks of oil pulling.
– Headaches and Migraines diminished. Using oil pulling, those that suffer with headaches and migraines can see a reduction in them. This is due to the toxins being pulled from the body.
– Full body detox. The fungus, bacteria and other toxins in our mouth will solidify in our bodies over time and will lead to other conditions. Oil pulling will remove these toxins from the mouth so they can not enter the body to do further harm.
– Kidney and liver function. Oil pulling helps to remove any stress on the kidneys and liver by helping to filter out any toxins that are found in the body.
– Improves hormonal balance. This can help to regulate the menstrual cycle, as well as improve the symptoms of PMS.
– Helps with asthma and coughing. Oil pulling has proven to clear up congestion and bronchitis.
To begin oil pulling, you will want to use either sesame oil or coconut oil. Coconut oil is great as it is anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal. Coconut oil will be a solid so you can either warm it up first or just place a small bit of the solid in your mouth. Use 1 to 2 teaspoons. Swish in the mouth in the morning for best results. Swish for 20 minutes, and then spit out the oil in the trash can ( not the sink as it can clog it). Rinse the mouth with warm water, and then brush the teeth.