Hiccups occur when a sudden contraction of the diaphragm happens at the same time as the larynx contracts and the glottis closes. This condition will obstruct airflow, causing a strange sound.
In many cases, this situation will recover in a short time. In some cases, hiccups can last longer and be a distraction that lowers the quality of one’s sleep. In some more severe cases even require medical treatment.
Several factors can be taken into account:
- Emotions (fear, excitement, and anxiety)
- Eating too fast
- Spicy foods
- A drastic change of the temperature of the stomach
What to do
If you have the hiccups for more than 48 hours, then you need medical treatment. You can use some natural tips and although they sound funny at first, you need to give them a chance.
- Inhale and hold your breath as long as possible. Take a deep breath and slowly remove it. Perform this step 5 times.
- A glass of cold water is very important. 10 sips of cold water or rinse with cold water are deemed effective.
- One teaspoon of sugar
- One teaspoon of honey
- Breathing in a paper bag
- Tongue as much as possible
- Cover your ears for 30 seconds
- Bite lemon
- Drink apple cider vinegar because the acid can overcome the hiccups
- Pull your knees toward your chest