If you are deficient in a mineral, you may find yourself having certain issues or health problems. The following are 5 of the most common problems that individuals face and what minerals they may just be missing out on.
1. Muscle cramps and/or headaches: One of the most common minerals the body is deficient in is magnesium. This powerful nutrient helps to not only relax tense muscles and nerves, but also alleviates cramping and headaches. But up to 75% of Americans are not getting enough of it.One can add some leafy green veggies like Kale to the diet. Another easy trick is to soak in a bath with Epsom salts, as they are high in magnesium and will easily be absorbed into the body.
2. Acne: Being deficient in zinc is to blame here. Zinc helps to control the oil production and also helps to add color and brightness to the complexion. One forth cup of pumpkin seeds provides half the daily recommended amount. Zinc also helps to speed up the healing process of the skin and will also regenerate skin cells.
3. Brittle nails and hair: This is due to a biotin deficiency. This is a very rare deficiency, but can cause hair breakage, weak and brittle nails, and even hair loss.
4. Hair that is thinning: This is often due to low iron. Iron helps to carry oxygen and other nutrients to the hair follicles. Low iron levels have been found to cause hair loss.
5. Little white bumps on the arms- This is caused by a deficiency in essential fatty acids. This is often seen when there is a deficiency in omega 3 fatty acids. Omega 3’s prevent hardening of the hair follicle, as well as reducing the inflammation of these white bumps on the back of the arms.