This fruit is native to the Malayan peninsula and it is called carambola fruit known to the world as star fruit. Its name comes from the fact that it has a star shape and other that the Malayan peninsula it is also produced in the southern United States, Southeast Asia and Latin America.
The taste of this fruit is very similar to the one of the grapes, citrus fruits and pear only it has a mixture of sweet and sour. It is yellow in color when it is ripe and the combination of taste is very popular and rare.
Other than delicious this fruit can provide a lot of health benefits. It has a low amount of calories, 30 in 100g and it is packed with antioxidants, vitamin C and B, folate, riboflavin, niacin, calcium, manganese, potassium, zinc and iron.
Here are some incredible facts and health benefits about the star fruit:
- Regulates Hypertension. The star fruit is full of potassium that is a great substance in controlling blood pressure. The regular consumption of potassium can reduce the risk of hypertension.
- Lowers Cholesterol. The fiber levels in the star fruit can reduce bad cholesterol and that can prevent strokes and heart attack. Other than that the consumption of this fruit will increase the levels of the good cholesterol.
- Strengthens The Immune System. It contains a lot of vitamins and minerals essential for the general health and the vitamin C levels will protect you against colds, flu, influenza and viral diseases.
- Helps Digestion. Due to the fiber levels it can fight constipation and improve the digestion and with that boost the metabolic rate.
- Skin Benefits. Because of the flavonoids, this fruit can promote skin health and prevent diseases like psoriasis, dermatitis and can even treat acne.
- Improves Sleep. The high content of magnesium and other minerals in this fruit can help you sleep better, get proper rest and be energized in the morning.
- Controls Diabetes. The star fruit is low in sugar but high in fiber and essential minerals. That makes it a great fruit for diabetics and it can prevent glucose absorption from the gut.
Note: This fruit is high in oxalic acid and that is why it should not be used in the case of kidney diseases, kidney dialysis or kidney failure since it can cause nausea and vomiting. This fruit can also interfere with the effects of certain medications and pills like statins, opiates and benzodiazepines.
So before consuming this fruit consult a medical professional.