You don’t have to starve yourself to have a flat stomach. Just because the waistline is flat does not mean that an individual is healthy. It is true that eating less foods might mean the body consumes less fat, however, the less an individual eats, the more they can weigh. If the body does not have enough food, it will shut down.
Here are five reasons why not eating enough are bad for the entire body :
1. Fat storage– Not eating enough can make a person gain weight, not lose it. When the body is deprived of the nutrients it needs from food, the body will go into fat storage mode. The body will confuse itself, as it is telling the brain that it is hungry. When no food or not enough foods are eaten, the body will begin to store the food as fat for fear of not knowing when the next meal is.
2. Hormone imbalances– When meals are skipped, the body will go into stress mode. It will then begin to produce excessive amounts of cortisol, which is a hormone that will cause weight gain.
If produced in high amounts, it can also make the body inflamed. Too much cortisol can also effect the levels of insulin in the body.
3. Low energy– When meals are skipped or not enough food is eaten, the body will not have enough energy, which will lead to fatigue, weight gain, and irritation.
4. Poor choices– When the body is not given the food that it needs to survive, it will begin to make bad choices. A recent study has found that individuals that have skipped breakfast will most likely eat more calories in the course of the day by eating higher calorie foods.
5. Overeating– Skipping meals or not eating enough will result often times in binge eating. Binge eating is when an individual eats more food then necessary, which will often lead to feeling sick, sad and emotional. This can also lead to stomach issues, chronic weight gain, problems with the kidneys, and high blood pressure.
If you are looking to lose weight, do it in a sensible manner. Exercise more, eat less foods that are high in calories, and never skip meals.