Pesticides are all over our environment, in our parks, in the school playground and even in our food from the markets or bazaars. The bad effects from the pesticides can be avoided but it takes great effort and many lifestyle changes like eating fresh and well washed organic food.
But still, these poisonous things have a way to be a part of our life and harm our health.
In a recent research, the tea bags from popular brands like Tetley, Lipton and Twinings have in their composition high levels of pesticides. These investigations were made on other brands as well, and the list is below:
- King Cole
- Lipton particularly Pure Green Tea and Yellow Label Black Tea
- Red Rose
- Uncle Lee’s Legends of China more specifically Green Tea and Jasmine Green Tea
- No Name
The scientists used the same method as the National Food Inspection Agency to investigate the level of pesticides on the dry tea leaves.
The amount of the pesticides they found in half of the tea bags was illegally high. In eight of ten samples were found several chemicals and in one brand of the tea bags there were twenty two pesticide types.
Moreover, the pesticides in the tea, like endosulfan and monocrotophos, are banned or still in the process for limiting the usage in the production because of the effects they make on workers and general environment.
Some brands have only traces of pesticides while others have a great amount of toxic pesticides.
Furthermore, the brands that are of better quality do not consist of pesticides, while the brands listed below are the ones you should avoid.
– King Cole – this brand contains high percentage of pesticides, even the one which is forbidden- monocrotophos which causes involuntary defecation, irregular heartbeats and coma.
– Uncle Lee’s Legends of China especially the Green tea – This is also a brand that consists over twenty pesticides as well as endosulfan which is forbidden in many countries. It causes several side effects like tremors, disorder in the nerve system and can even lead to death.
– No Name – This tea brand has more than 10 different toxic pesticides.
The producers of tea react to the accusation against them. The vice president of Uncle Lee’s Legends of China, protected his brand by saying that all tea brands consist pesticides. His exact words are:
“If you drink tea, regular tea, I don’t care what brand is that, in fact, this agricultural product does have pesticides in its consistency.”
He is ignorant of the claims that out of ten only one brand (Red Rose) has no pesticides. But it is obvious that his words are only for cheating people, as the big companies try to sell their product and make profit out of a trick.
That is why you should avoid the brands mentioned here as they are harmful for your health and find alternative pesticide-free organic drained tea leaves as a more natural alternative.
For a full list of the different tea brands click here.
Other included sources linked in The Hearty Soul’s article:
Featured image sources: